Wednesday 1 June 2011

hand made tissue box

I've made patchwork out of scrap fabrics, and I'm going to use it to make my tissue box!
This is the box I made by using the "Cartonnage" art work.
All technique I use are from the book below.

暮らしの中の布箱づくり―広岡ちはるのカルトナージュ
クリエーター情報なし
文化出版局


The box is about 5mm bigger than the tissue box you get at the shop.
First you cut 4 corners.  You will use the cut pieces for the lid later so don't throw them away.
When you cut it, you need to leave 1cm each side for the small side, so when you stick it on the box, it will be like this...
Now, you stick the longer side onto the box.
When it's done, you should print out a pattern you like to use for the inside liner.
I use heavy weight paper for inside, as it needs to be smooth for tissue to come out smoothly.
I've printed out this pattern.  It came out funny, but then it looked interesting as is, so I'm going to use it anyway. (Don't want to waste any trees now do we)
This is the lid part, and I used the cut 4 corner pieces for it.
The back side has the same print paper.
I've inserted a cotton tape for 4 corners so it will stop the lid from coming out when you are pulling out the tissue.
Because the lid isn't heavy enough, it will lift up when pulling out the tissue.
The 4 corner tapes will stop the lid to come out from the box.
You can stick or sew things onto the lid to make it heavier.
I think I'll make something to put onto the lid.
Hmmm, maybe fake oreo?

No comments: